Saturday 8 November 2014

Personal trainer study materials

So as I have mentioned in my profile, I'm starting personal trainer studies soon, in January to be exact. After for awhile checking out all available places where I could learn becoming personal trainer, I ended up with choosing Tsemppari koulu . First is because of the feedback I read from people who have studied it, second I think it teaches more about being entrepreneur personal trainer which is more to what I'm looking for and third reason is I have more trust in this one than the many more popular ones.
My gym I currently unfortunately go to has their own trainings too for same price but unfortunately because I workout there I have quite few times seen their lessons and heard students talking which really concerned me.
I overheard some of the students going through their studies and they didn't remember muscles by location and name nor how to properly do basic workouts such as deadlifts, bicep curls etc. If I were new to working out, would I want my trainer to be such? I know they will learn them but I believe personal trainer should know a lot of basic things before they even go to study it. Afterall there are so much to remember and know that it will take you long time before you can start training other people and if you know so little of basics you are useless for next first few years after getting the studies done and will you learn new things on your own, based on experience, after studies if you haven't read anything before you started studies? Not to forget lack of experience on basic exercises...
Few times I saw different group having their lesson with customer and they didn't fix postures at all... Neither did their teacher. Aslong it's somewhat to what it's supposed to be right? Well unfortunately if you do it wrong you risk yourself in getting an injury. The purpose of working out is to get better not worse. I broke my own knees out of stupidity and not questioning my trainers. This is why I don't like this trend of everyone wanting to be a personal trainer. Luckily such people will quit at some but they will cause a lot of damage before they quit.
My gyms personal trainers that are already working are lacking knowledge often when it comes to a person who is old or has past injury. I was quited to use smiths machine and leg curls with my bad knees. After telling that to a proper physiotherapist, she was worried why I was guided to do so. Well then I started paying attention more to how personal trainers work at my gym and they give exact same routine to everyone. No matter how old you are and if you have some injury. You can do this!
I'm not saying all the other places that teach to become personal trainer are bad but take your time and research before you make your choice. I'm not saying name of the above one because this is just my experience and maybe some other teacher does the job better. Afterall it is a big company with plenty of teachers. This is my personal view and that's why I chose this one.

This week I have received from them study materials such as 3 dvds (nutrition, basic training and extra training) and a book. I'll be going through them weekly so I might get write about some topic to discuss here for you others aswell.
Afterall there's a lot of things I already know and lots of things I probably didn't know AND probably lots of things I have second opinion on so will do researches and look for others opinion on it too. Nobody is perfect so nobody can really know absolutely everything. There's always a lot to learn and improve on.

Share your thoughts and experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment